Buying a recreational vehicle (RV) is a long-term and serious investment. It is important to understand there is more at stake than just choosing and purchasing an RV. Any buyer needs to learn how to drive or tow the vehicle, proper maintenance, and when to take it to an auto shop for service.
There some additional, important considerations before buying. Here are some tips to keep in mind when making a confident purchase:
- Do Some Research – Taking time to research is a great way to explore your choices. List all you need in an RV and the types of RVs that suit your budget. After gathering essential information, narrow down your options by comparing different features of each RV type.
- Be Sure an RV Fits Your Lifestyle – For a person who loves to explore and enjoys outdoor activities, owning an RV could be a dream come true. You do not want to invest in something, only to regret it after a couple of months. To avoid this costly mistake, think long and hard about whether an RV fits your lifestyle or if you have the time to use it for camping, long-distance travel, or other activities.
- New or Used – Buying a brand new or used RV depends on a buyer’s budget. Both come with advantages and disadvantages. Buying a brand new RV means (hopefully) fewer repair issues, but its value can depreciate more quickly than a car. While a second-hand RV may have a lower sticker price, it could have a higher maintenance cost.
- Annual Maintenance Cost – Budgeting what you can spend on annual maintenance costs helps you make an informed decision before buying an RV. The dealer should provide useful information regarding what you can expect to spend each year on the vehicle, so you can prepare your annual RV budget.
- Size and Layout – The size and layout of the RV’s floor plan is another factor to consider before making a purchase. Take into consideration how many members of your family and/or friends will be joining you on trips.
Buying an RV offers a kind of freedom on the open road, and you don’t have to worry where you’ll sleep when you stop. Before investing, have an automotive expert inspect the vehicle. Call Gerry’s Automotive Ltd at (604) 826-0519 to learn more about our RV servicing and repair services.